Fresh Start Support
This rebate is available to employers who employ a new person who has been made redundant by an employer who is a designated employer within the period of 1 January 2014 and 30 June 2015.
In respect to the designated employer, Electrolux Pty Ltd (Orange factory), the rebate is eligible on employees made redundant by that employer within the period 1 January 2014 and 30 June 2017.
A business is determined to be a designated employer by the Minister of Finance and Services.
The Minister must have regard to the following matters when designated an employer:
the scale of retrenchments affecting an employer’s business and the part of the State in which the business is located, applying the principal that no fewer than 100 retrenchments affecting a business located in the metropolitan area and no fewer than 50 retrenchments affecting a business located in the non-metropolitan area, should be considered sufficient for the employer to be a designated employer
the employment sector in which the retrenchments have occurred, applying the principle that a Public Service agency (within the meaning of the Government Sector Employment Act 2013) should not be a designated employer
whether the retrenchments are likely to significantly affect a particular industry or region of the State
whether the opportunities for re-employment of retrenched employees are limited because of the nature of the employer’s business
other matters that the Minister considers appropriate.
On 5 March 2015, Minister Perrottet designated the following as designated employers:
- Simplot Australia Pty Ltd
- The Health Snack People Pty Ltd – (Kellogg's)
- Downer EDI Rail Pty Ltd
- Electrolux Pty Ltd – in relation to persons employed to provide services to Electrolux Pty Ltd at the Orange factory.
On 11 March 2016, Minister Perrottet also designated PowerServe Pty Ltd as a designated employer to take effect from 9 June 2014.
Employers are required to provide documentation in relation to the employee’s redundancy to be eligible for the Fresh Start Support, for example a termination letter.
What is eligible employment?
The employment of a person is included in the rebate scheme if the employment meets the following conditions:
- The employee is placed in a position that is eligible for the Jobs Action Plan rebate.
- The employee has been made redundant from a designated employer between 1 January 2014 and 30 June 2015.
- Specifically for the designated employer, Electrolux Pty Ltd (Orange factory), the employee was made redundant from that employer between 1 January 2014 and 30 June 2017
- The employee remains with the new employer for a minimum of 12 months.
What types of employment are excluded from the rebate?
If you are not eligible for the Jobs Action Plan rebate, you are not eligible for the Fresh Start Support scheme.
For more information on the Jobs Action Plan rebate, please visit the Jobs Action Plan rebate page.
In addition to the information needed to register for the Jobs Action Plan rebate, you will also need the following:
- name of designated employer
- redundant employee
- proof of redundancy.
For more information, visit the Jobs Action Plan and Fresh Start Support registration page.